Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Belize!

Belize was amazing-- unbelizeable!-- definitely one of the best trips I've ever had. Now I'm trying to figure out how to write (blog) about it.

For the class I took at my college, I had to submit a report of my travel experiences. Since I'm not really interested in the college credit, I could have just blown it off, but it was a fun and valuable experience to write out all my thoughts and memories of the trip. That, along with 379 pictures I took, will be a good way to preserve and capture my Belize experience.

The report I wrote for my college was 13 pages and almost 5,000 words. Way too big for a single blog post. And it was a boring diary-like account of what we did each day, with random snarky comments and observations thrown in. There are a few themes or specific experiences I could break out into different blog posts, some possibilities being:
  • Belize as a Hollywood set
  • Where chocolate comes from
  • Flora & Fauna
  • Injuries & ailments
  • People & Politics
The problem is I have lots of random, disjointed observations that don't really fit within larger themes. I feel like an artist who has a wonderful array of colors and wants to use all of them. But art isn't about using ALL the colors, but the right ones in the right combination.

I could just post what I wrote for my class, and break it down chronologically, devoting one blog post per day in Belize, but that could be boring.

Who am I kidding? I could make it boring either way. After posting 200 pictures (with comments) on Facebook, I'm not sure what more a blog post could add, other than bore a slightly different audience in a slightly different medium.

I'll ponder it some more. In the meantime, here are some pictures of things in trees (in Belize):

Leaf-cutter ants

Termite nest

Orchid

Monkey (w/ fruit)

Librarian

2 comments:

asplenia said...

Haha, I love these pics -- "Monkey with fruit" and "Librarian" -- lol! I know what you mean about the impossibility of separating everything. But maybe you can do it by theme? Food, plants, bugs, culture, etc.?

Will stay tuned for more!

Jolene said...

That is gorgeous! Looks like a fantastic trip, you jetsetter you.